Thursday, January 3, 2008

What is Farmwifery?

I'm often asked what my role is on the farm or for that matter in life. Folks can look at Dan, my husband, out in the field and say to themselves "farmer". He's the guy that grows our vegetables. Usually folks don't see me at the farm, or it is in passing as I am chasing our 2 year old Bea around, trying to pick up some food for dinner, or touch base with Dan about the day's events. So maybe they don't see me and say, "farmer" which would definitely be accurate. So what is it that I do? After asking myself this question often, especially after becoming a new mom I've realized that "farmer's wife" is the answer. "Farmwifery" is the art of being a farmer's wife.

Don't get me wrong, this is not just stand by your man. I kind of see the farm as a part of our family. Farming is not just a job, it is really a lifestyle. We grow vegetables for about 175 families and sell at 2 farmers' markets. This blog will be a little bit about growing the veg, but mostly about all the other things that are going on behind the scenes - CSA membership, running a business, nutrition, eating locally, our farming community, our 2 year old Bea's adventures, my adventures in mothering, attachment parenting, keeping a family cow, making cheese & yogurt, what to cook for supper, preserving food for the winter. And some other fun stuff like family, friends, quilting, books...etc. And generally what life on the farm is like.

Why blog?

I know a bunch of other women who do this same work and so little of it goes unnoticed. The blog is a way to support those other women and shed light on what happens behind the scenes. I was happy to come across Joann Grohman's website and enjoyed reading here diary. Not only to gleen information about her experience with keeping a family cow, but simply to hear another woman's stories about living this lifestyle. I found it really grounding. http://www.real-food.com/
So hopefully I will find the time somehow to keep this going and share lots of info about farm life and other resources. Looking forward to a great new year and lots of new adventures!

No comments: