Wednesday, February 20, 2008

At a Loss for Words

About 8 hours after I wrote my last post I noticed the signs of an impending miscarriage. Dan came down with the flu. Needless to say we had a terrible week. Yet, farm life goes on - animals need to be fed, the cow needs to be milked. While it is a kind of hell to be milking the cow with a fever in an ice storm, the farm actually offers a certain grounding. Through years of working with life and death on the farm - with the animals, plants and seasons- we can feel comforted that we are just a part of these cycles as well. It turns out that Patches was not bred and will not be giving birth this fall either. Yet, Lulu, who we did not intend to breed is about the lamb any day now. So you see life is full of little surprises. As we often say to ourselves... "Good luck, bad luck.... hard tellin'."

So now a week and a half later we are all recovered and doing well again. I'm off for a little R & R this weekend in one of our favorite places, Santa Fe. Yes, I do have the best husband ever. When I get back it will be like New Year's all over again. I'm looking forward to a fresh start and the new spring season.

1 comment:

sarahannelibrary said...

Tracy,
It is harder to tell what is good luck and what is bad luck when you see things from a bigger picture, and when you look back in time. Even so, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. love, sarah